Tunisia is the 35th largest and most northern country in Africa. Learn more fun facts about this fascinating country.
1. It’s located in North Africa and is the 35th largest country on the continent.
2. Its capital and largest city is Tunis.
3. Major languages: Arabic, Tunisian Arabic, French, Jebbali
4. Major ethnic groups: Berber/Amazigh (98%), European and other (2%)
5. Major religions: Islam (98%), Christianity, Judaism and other (2%)
6. It is the most northern country in Africa. The northernmost point on the continent is Îles des Chiens, an island located in the Mediterranean Ocean. The northernmost point on the mainland is Ras Ben Sakka.
7. It is popular with Star Wars fans since most desert scenes in the series were filmed there. Some of the original movie sets remain standing and the best-preserved ones are found in Ksour, Matmata, Nefta, and Ong Jemal.
8. In the city of Matmata, the people live in underground homes to escape the scorching heat and sun of the Sahara Desert.
9. It has 17 national parks, including the Ichkuel National Park which is popular with bird watchers due to the large-scale migration there.
10. Kairouan is the 4th most important city in the Islamic world after Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem. The Ugba mosque there is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
11. The Medina of Tunis has more than 700 monuments, including mosques, madrasas, palaces, mausoleums, fountains, and the the El Attarine military barracks.
12. It offers a mix of North African, European and Mediterranean culture and architecture. Tourism centers around its desert landscapes, beautiful beaches and resorts in Sousse, Monastir, Mahdia and the island of Djerba, as well as its many historical sites, including El Djem Amphitheater, one of the largest amphitheaters in the world, Bulla Regia, Dougga, and Carthage.
13. Thing to see and do in the capital of Tunis include: Medina, Al-Zaytuna Mosque, Bardo National Museum, Ville Nouvelle neighborhood, Tunisian National Theater, and the great arches of the Bab el Bhar.