Somalia is the 20th largest African country and it has the longest coastline in mainland Africa. Learn more fun facts about this interesting country.
1. It is located in the Horn of Africa in East Africa and it’s the 20th largest country on the continent.
2, Its capital and largest city is Mogadishu.
3. Major languages: Somali, Arabic, English, Italian
4. Major ethnic groups: Somali, Bantu, Bajuni
5. Major religions: Islam (99.7%), Christianity (0.1%), Traditional and other religions (0.2%)
6. It gained independence from Britain and Italy in July 1960.
7. It is one of Africa’s most ethnically homogenous nations; 85% of the population are ethnic Somalis.
8. The Laas Geel cave paintings date between 9,000 and 3,000 years BC and are among the most ancient and famous in Africa.
9. It has the longest coastline in mainland Africa, with stunning beaches and protected coral reefs.
10. Before its 20-year civil war, Somalia used to be a popular tourist destination due to its numerous attractions and beautiful beaches. Tourism has slowly returned, but travel remains risky and caution is advised.
11. Tourism centers around historical sites, beaches, waterfalls, mountain ranges, wildlife, and national parks.
12. Its most popular attractions include Laas Geel caves, Hargesia, the Cal Madow, Golis Mountains and Ogo Mountains, the Iskushuban and Lamadaya waterfalls, Hargeisa National Park, Jilib National Park, Kismayo National Park and Lag Badana National Park.
13. Things to see and do in Mogadishu include Shanghai Old City, Union Mosque, Liido beach, Mogadishu Cathedral, Bakara Market, Mogadishu Fish Market, Black Hawk Down Crash Site Museum, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Governor’s House, National Museum, and Arch of Triumph.