Ethiopia is the oldest and the 2nd most populous country in Africa. Learn more fun facts about this fascinating country.
1. It is a landlocked country located in the Horn of Africa in East Africa.
2. It’s the 10th largest country in Africa and the 26th largest in the world.
3. Its capital and largest city is Addis Ababa.
4. It’s the oldest independent country in Africa and the 2nd oldest official Christian nation in the world after Armenia.
5. It’s the second most populous country in Africa, home to 113 million people.
6. It has more than 80 ethnic groups. The four largest are: Oromo, Amhara, Somali and Tigrayans.
7. It has more than 80 languages. Major languages include: Amharic (official), Afar, Harari, Oromo, Tigrinya, Sidama, Somali.
8. Major religions: Christianity (63%), Islam (34%), Traditional and other faiths (3%)
9. It’s the only country in Africa never to be colonized.
10. It is the only country in the world with a 13-month year. It follows the Ethiopian calendar, which is about 7 years and 3 months behind the Gregorian calendar.
11. It is home to nine UNESCO World Heritage sites: the ancient Aksum kingdom, Fasil Ghebbi and Gondar castles, the walled city of Harar, Konso Cultural Landscape, Lower Valley of the Omo, Lower Valley of the Awash, rock hewn churches of Lalibela, carved stelae of Tiya, and Simien National Park.
12. The Danakil Depression, in northeastern Ethiopia, is the hottest place on Earth, popular with tourists for its magical landscape with sulfurous hot springs, acid pools, steaming fissures and salt mountains.
13. Popular things to do in the capital include: the Addis market, Meskel Square, St. George’s Cathedral, Holy Trinity Cathedral, National Museum, Ethnological Museum, Derg monument, Lion of Judah, Entoto Hill, and enjoying traditional Ethiopian coffee.