Egypt is Africa’s 12th largest country and its 2nd most visited, popular with tourists for its many ancient monuments. Learn more fun facts about Egypt.
1. It’s located in northern Africa and links northeast Africa with the Middle East.
2. Its capital and largest city is Cairo.
3. It’s the 12th largest country and the third most populous country on the continent.
4. Arabic is the official language.
5. Islam is the official religion, practiced by 90% of the population. Ten percent are Christians.
6. Major ethnic groups: Egyptians, Nubians, Bedouins, Berbers, Copts
7. The Nile River, the world’s longest river, flows thru Egypt and 10 other African countries. About 22% of the Nile River’s course flows thru Egypt.
8. 95% of Egyptians live along the Nile River or its delta. The Nile provides nearly all of Egypt’s water.
9. It has one of the longest histories of any country and is considered a cradle of civilization.
10. It has coastlines on the Mediterranean Sea and the Gulf Sea, with modern resorts catering to sun seekers and scuba divers.
11. Egypt is Africa’s second most visited country, with visitors coming to see its many historical monuments and cultural attractions.
12. Popular attractions include the Sphinx and Pyramids of Giza, Luxor’s Karnak Temple and the Valley of the Kings, Abu Simpel, Mount Sinai, White Desert, Siwa Oasis, the towns of Aswan, Alexandria , Hurghada, Sharm el Sheik, and Cairo, and cruising on the Nile.